top of page

Requirements for Graduation

The first question we ask when parents are wondering how to plan for High School is, “What is your student’s next step?”  The transcript is a vehicle that will help get them there, so we want to make sure it’s pointed in the right direction.

We use and recommend the TN Requirements for Graduation as a template to plan the High School years.  College-bound students should adhere closely as this is what schools are wanting to see. Students with other plans can use the Elective credits to spend time building trade or entrepreneurial skills.

Click to view a sample transcript

Sample Transcript
Basic Transcript – 22 Credits


4  English

4  Math

3  Science

3  Social Studies
1.5 P.E./Wellness

.5  Personal Finance
2  Foreign Language

1  Fine Art

3  Elective Focus

Common Modifications

  • Each year should include an English I-IV that covers a range of language arts.  Additional concentrated courses, like Creative Writing, would be considered an elective.

  • Courses in Maths, Sciences and Social Studies should list the concentration.  An exception is Integrated Math I – IV in place of Algebra, Geometry, etc. as it incorporates all of them.

  • Courses like Personal Finance, Driver’s Education, and ACT Prep would be a .5 credit course. Government and Econ are also usually considered 2 halves of a whole.

  • If P.E./Wellness is taken in more for than one semester, we typically keep the credits totaling 1.5 unless the courses directly contribute to the next step.

  • Electives: if there are multiple courses listed in one category, such as Art, Drawing, Painting, within a year, we tend to group them and leave 1 credit per category. EXAMPLE: If many different electives are taken within a year, usually each would earn .5 credit. Consider the participation hours to accurately attribute credit.  A once-a-week class and occasional practice would accrue less credit than daily lessons.

  • Work experience and community service can be listed, but will not earn a grade or credit, and thus will not affect the final GPA.


Students earn one-half (0.5) credit for mastering one semester of high school level coursework, or 1.0 credit for a full year (two semesters). Some students master a “semester’s worth of work” in less than 90 days – others may take longer than 90 days.


Traditional courses with text/lesson plans typically include ~90 units of study per semester, which makes them easy to translate into a transcript. 

Learning Hours
75 - 90
150 - 180
Those who enjoy an eclectic education, or feel their style doesn’t fit into this framework, may find Real-Time Credit Accounting helpful. Families can map experiences into courses as they occur, for example, a visit to the doctor for an annual check-up gets credited as 1-hour towards a 180-hour/1-credit biology class. Generally, one credit is equal to 150/180 hours of study/activity in an area that would be the equivalent of a one-year course in high school. A half-credit would equal ~75 /90 hours. The time spent in study/activity is not limited to time reading a textbook or taking exams, it can include anything the student does related to that academic subject.


Each letter grade and corresponding number range earn a specific number of GPA Points that are used to calculate GPA. Additional GPA Points can be earned by taking Honors or AP courses that will affect the Weighted GPA. For the final transcript, any numerical grades will be translated and listed as letter grades.​

Grading Scale (Current)
GPA Points
Letter Grade
Number Grade
00 - 59
60 - 69
70 - 79
80 - 89
90 - 100
Old Grading Scale (Before 22/23 Year )
GPA Points
Letter Grade
Number Grade
00 - 69
70 - 74
75 - 84
85 - 92
93 - 100

+.5 GPA pts

Honors courses delve deeper into the material and can create a more comprehensive understanding, and the additional work earns additional weight. We do not need proof of advanced content but will need to confirm the courses on our end for them to be properly marked.


To mark a course as Honors, use the drop-down menu below the grade type when creating it.



+1 GPA pts

AP courses are even more rigorous, covering college-level material and potentially earning college credit. If you would like your student to take an AP course while under our umbrella, you will need to plan ahead! If you are starting from scratch, each course must go through an Audit via the CollegeBoard for authorization. The process includes an application, syllabus review, and other steps that take time. Please visit the Homeschool Providers of AP Courses page on the CollegeBoard website to get started.

You also have the option of using a course curriculum that is already College Board Certified, we are developing a list of providers.


The Course Audit Help Line is open Monday-Friday, 8 am - 5 PM:

(887) 274-3570   OR   (212) 632-1781


Audit Submission Dates

OPENS: March 1 of the prior school year.

DEADLINE: January 31 of the current school year.

PLEASE NOTE: We will need a copy of your Authorization Letter or Official Transcript to confirm the courses. They can be emailed to, faxed to 931.229.1113, or mailed to PO BOX 380 Summertown, TN 38483.


Regardless of whether your course curriculum was approved to be marked AP, your student can participate in the final testing to potentially earn college credit. Visit AP Central for more information.


To mark a course as AP, use the drop-down menu below the grade type when creating it.



Dual enrollment courses are taken through a local college and earn BOTH High School and College Credit. This is a great way to get a head start and dip your toes into the college experience.


When adding your Dual Enrollment course, use the + Elective/Write-in option to customize the title, and mark it as Dual Enrollment  from the drop-down menu below the grade type.


How to list a DE Course:     XXX  ###  Course Name      ENG 101  English Composition


The Dual Enrollment Transcript will list credit hours (typically 3 or 4) for each class, divide by 3 to get the equivalent High School credit. Most courses translate to 1 HS credit, Lab courses tend to have an extra credit hour and would be listed with 1.33 credits.


3 College credit hours = 1 High School credit


PLEASE NOTE: We will need an official transcript from your college to confirm the courses, preferably as soon as available.  They can be emailed to, faxed to 931.229.1113, or mailed to PO BOX 380 Summertown, TN 38483.​



While early graduation is possible, it is reserved for students with a strong idea of what’s next and who have put in the extra effort to prepare for it.  If this is your intention, please open the conversation by emailing  Make sure your reporting is up to date and that we have any needed previous records in house to review.  


We require students to attend at least 6 semesters for the early graduation option.


In our final readiness assessment we will expect to see courses that contribute to the student’s next step, such as Dual Enrollment courses, specialized training, or internships.  We want to make sure they will be prepared for their chosen path, as you do, so plan accordingly!​



When all is said and done, to request the Diploma your student has worked so hard for, use the Request Manager at the bottom of the Parent Dashboard. We are no longer packing paper transcripts with the diploma - we fill forward an electronic copy of the diploma and the final transcript. In case you need a transcript sent to an institution now or in the future, you will retain access to the dashboard to make your requests.


For anyone needing a Certificate of Completion, that option is listed in the Request Manager as well.

bottom of page